May 12, 2007

KILL FEAR AND DOUBT

This is from a friend of mine in LA.This rings especially true for me now as my move date closes in, and I begin to worry about money, lonliness and logistics rather than riding high on the fact that soon I'll be living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, learning to communicate in a new way, and discovering even more about myself. It will all work out!

A really sweet girl I've been dating for a couple weeks just decided to move to Barcelona (no, it wasn't because of me). She had visited the city before and last weekend just realized it was something she always really wanted to do, so, she's going to do it. Just like that? Yes, just like that.

Many times we come up with all kinds of very reasonable sounding excuses and reasons as to why we shouldn't do certain things we deep-down have always wanted to do. But the truth is, if you really want to do something, "how" is not that important. What's important is to become clear about what you truly, deeply desire in your life and then go after it. All the "hows" will work themselves out, often in ways you could never have planned or imagined. Joseph Campbell said, "Follow your bliss and doors will open where there were no doors before." What's really stopping us from our dreams is ourselves.

The more we stay in our comfort zone, the more fear begins to rule our lives, and the doubts and fears we have grow in power over us. Voices inside our heads (whether from parents, people around us, the media, etc.) tell us all the reasons we can't do what we want to do, can't be who we want to be. But the truth is, those voices are no more valid than the ones that say we can. So, it's up to us to decide what voices we're going to listen to, daily. And you have to be merciless, especially at first. You must kill all fear and doubt. And you also have to cast off their twisted cousin, cynicism. If you hold on to the comfort of cynicism to avoid disappointment and pain, or even worse, to look cool, you're only hurting yourself. So, be careful what voices you listen to, whether on the outside or in your head. Live in the moment daily, and be aware of your thoughts and the stories you're telling yourself. If you change those stories, change those voices, then you will change your life.

I struggle daily with fear and doubt in various areas of my life. But for the last two years I have been changing the stories and voices in my head, and the results have been incredible, not only in the outward manifestation of a different life, but a different level of peace and enjoyment of my life. So, when the idea of doing a solo tour came into my head, just like my friend moving to Barcelona, I just decided to do it. Scheduling it hasn't been effortless, but many doors have opened to make the tour possible. Although there are still some holes in the schedule, I'm more excited than afraid to see how those things will work themselves out. And I keep trying to tip the emotion of fear to excitement instead as I stretch the boundaries of my comfort zone. I just have to keep mercilessly killing fear and doubt, every day. Eventually, I hope their voices will be dim and distant compared to the voices of courage, power and joy. I hope the same for you.

No comments: