November 20, 2002

Rude Awakening

My alarm went off at 6:30 this morning and when I didn't hear any traffic on Guerrero, I knew something was wrong. As I was getting out of bed I heard a helicopter circling above and I felt even more uneasy. When I looked out of my living room window, my block was literally bumper to bumper with police cars and vans, rescue units, a disaster relief bus, plenty of unmarked cars, and two news teams. I looked out towards downtown and because it was so foggy, I couldn't see the tops of the buildings, and in my half asleep confusion, I immediately thought that San Francisco was being leveled by bombs. I clicked on the tv and saw a report stating that a man had been outside my home waving a shotgun in the street in the wee hours of the morning, and there had been a three hour stand-off. Eventually the tops of buildings emerged from the low fog, and I was relieved that it was an isolated incident and no one was hurt. Okay universe, I've had enough excitement for today.

No comments: